My Morning Routine in 5 Steps
Whatever your schedule may be, it’s unbelievably helpful to have a few set things that you tackle once you wake up so that you set yourself up for success. Here are some of the things I do each morning that help start my day off on the right foot!
1) Set the alarm for the same exact time every single day and don’t hit the snooze button.
There seem to be two different types of people in the world: those that have a set body clock and wake up at the same time each day without an alarm, and those that don’t. I’m part of the first group, but if you’re part of the second, I suggest keeping your wake up times (and bed times, ideally) the same or close to one another. I even do this on weekends because it helps my body get into a rhythm, and also makes getting out of bed so much easier since my body knows what to expect and when.
2) Get out of bed and wash up right away.
I don’t know about you, but if I open any apps on my phone the moment I wake up, I will literally find myself emerging from a black hole 20 minutes later wondering where the time went. It can such be a huge time suck and even more importantly, if I see something stressful in an email or something on social media that upsets me, I will for sure be in a terrible mood right away. Instead, I like to leave my phone out of sight until I’ve had a second to wake up and wash my face. This keeps me calm and on track to get out the door on schedule.
3) Turn on the hot water heater, coffee pot, espresso maker, etc. right away.
This one is a must for me since I like to have my morning cup as soon as possible. Since robots for this kind of thing don’t exist (for most people) yet, I will literally start my hot water heater for my french press on my way to the bathroom as soon as I wake up. Once the french press is doing it’s magic, I’ll get ready, prep my cup of joe (by frothing the milk - a crucial step!), and pack my bag. This allows me to be productive but also have my coffee as soon as possible so that I can finish up the rest of the things I need to get done before heading out for the day.
4) Take 5 minutes to make an easy, wholesome breakfast (that can be taken on the go, if need be)!Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and my favorite, I always put something quick together that’ll fuel me through the morning. It doesn’t take much time at all to make something like oatmeal, a smoothie (that lets the blender do the work), or even avocado toast, so I’ll make one of these things and take it with me to eat in the car or at the office. I don’t know about you, but I cannot focus if I’m hungry, so leaving myself enough time in the morning to make breakfast isn’t something I can compromise on! Besides, making something at home takes less time than stopping on the way to work to pick something up. It’s cheaper, too!
5) Fill any pots, pans or mugs with water to soak and load any dishes in the dishwasher.
If I don’t have enough time to fully wash the dishes from the breakfast I’ve made or lunch I’ve prepped, I’ll at least toss the dishes in the sink and fill them with water so nothing sticks to my blender or pots. I’m lucky enough to have a dishwasher, so I’ll try to load that up before I leave if I have an extra minute, or even run it while I’m out so that I have clean dishes when I get home.
the one woman star of the foodie blog Dancing for Donuts. She's a regular guest writer on Redmond serving up inspiration and recipes for the mind and soul. She loves spending time in the kitchen creating new recipes, hiking, trying new restaurants and visiting new places.
- Redmond usa